Monday, 15 March 2010

Yay official usernames / Day of Bad Luck

Megs:

Ha about time; I finally bothered to look for the setting on Blogger where you enable other authors to post in the blog. So yay! Now my posts will actually be credited to me, as megniscus, and Wil's posts will be under his username which will be whatever he decides on later. It just feels more formal that way :D

-

awelifgakwuefawfe

Today has been a day of such exceptionally bad luck!

I honestly feel like the universe just surprised me by showing me the hard way how bad a day can be, but obviously when you remove the extreme cases of natural disasters or road traffic injuries or like suddenly finding out you urgently need an organ donor but there's a year long waiting list. Anyway it's been such an amazing day crap-wise that I have to put this down.

This morning I received a text from Tim saying he'll be in uni at 9am, and since I'm selling my text books to him I said that 9am was perfect for me - I figured I would have an extra hour to walk to Grafton after I gave him the book. Strike 1.

7.50am: Imagine leaving the house on time and thinking YAY I'm in time for the bus for once, then getting to the bus stop and realizing you've left your ID card and your Grafton access card behind. These used to be kept in my wallet but are now attached to the convenient pulley you can hang on your pants. Convenient my ass. Strike 2!

7.55am: So I go home to get those, but I know I've missed the bus. I attempt to sit down on a chair but knock it over. (FML moment)

I manage to get a lift to Sunnynook again but guess what, the bus that requires least walking to the campus (Bus #881) after you get off is delayed.

At this time I also realize that my cell phone has only a half-charged battery. Why? Why? I charged it last night!

I see the 900X come and go. I could catch this bus, but go against catching this bus because it requires some walking to the campus. I didn't know it yet, but strike 3.

8.31am: The 881 gets to the bus stop, only it isn't a bus, it's like tin of sardines, except not with sardines, but people. It was similar to something you would see if you were trying to board a train in Japan (I find it quite funny how the station staff have to push the people in so the doors can shut). I'm pretty certain it's the biggest crammage that's happened to students so far this year.

BUT ANYWAY they couldn't let any more people on the bus so I quickly took the Northern Express.

On the bus I'm thinking, "I should have known that today I would end up catching the bus that requires the longest walking distance to City Campus...!"

9am-ish: The bus does its thing and is nearing Britomart station when I get a text from Renee saying, "Where are you? Is our lab going to be in the Anatomy Museum today?"

... at which point the word FUCK runs through my mind with the lovely dawning of realization that the lab starts at 9, NOT at 10am like all the Grafton labs were last year.

9.08am: I decide against running up to the City campus and risking winding myself (which takes 12 minutes if I sprint up the massive hill). Plus anyway, running to Grafton from City campus would take another 20 minutes. It'd make me roughly 30 minutes late to lab. I wait for the Link bus, which comes, and I figured it would get me to the hospital in roughly 15-20 minutes. Strike 4.

9.09-9.45am: The bus takes me on this big useless loop through Ponsonby. It gets to City campus.
Now I realize that I should have sprinted up the hill (12 minutes) and caught the Link bus from the city to Grafton (3-ish minutes without traffic).

9.55am: The bus stops by the Hospital, where I was due an hour ago.
(PS, your text about telling me to think about waking up an hour earlier? Funny's older cousin, but not Funny. But it's okay, I can appreciate the irony now. :P)

Woo! I'd never been this late to a lab session.

-

But today wasn't only a day of bad luck for me it seemed - this one girl came running up to the Link bus because she had to go to the City campus, but she was 20c short of the bus fare. And even though I gave her 20c she missed the Link (and 15 minutes of her next lecture) anyway.

-

So I was meant to go practise driving today, but I told my mother I should stay at home because with my luck/smarty-points for the day, strike 5 would probably involve me hitting a Rolls Royce or a small child on the road. So I stayed in.

Rotten cherry on top? Just now after finishing watching Spongebob, I pointed the remote at the TV to turn it off and walked into the arm of the sofa. I was carrying my friend's novel in my other hand and managed to squish the front cover in half and the first couple of pages. Strike 5.

Call me superstitious, but I think I was right not to go driving.

**

Silver lining - the lab demonstrator wasn't pissed, she just asked me with an amused expression where I lived. Also, since today was the first lab I'd only missed out on all that Introductory-mumbo jumbo. Still probably learnt more bones of the skull than heaps of other people in my class today, who just scribbled down the names of everything and pretended to be finished so they could wander around the museum. But I don't blame them.

The Anatomy Museum is beautiful, by the way. I don't have photos and I don't think we're allowed cameras, sorry :P You can have this link instead.

http://www.medicalresearch.co.nz/

I'm not sure the extent to which we're disallowed from describing the things that are on display (because it is human tissue, and because Med students have to treat cadaver-dissection as a sensitive subject, and because I missed the Intro), but I will say that gallbladder stones look as if you could push them on Crystal Mountain and get a decent price for them. :D

At least I made new mates in Optom today...yay!

Sigh. So that's my day. It was kind of entertaining in a very bizarrely crap way.

PS. Still have to find out why cell phone wasn't charged. But I looked in my room after I got home and the other end of the charger wasn't plugged in. Someone had removed it!!

PSS. Also, I didn't find Tim because I was in Ponsonby, so I'd uselessly lugged a fat textbook around town for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment