Wednesday, 25 November 2009

"Even later ramblings" second cousin.

Wil:

Lovely blog post Megs. And yes, I was quite excited about our anon. commenter. I hope they will be a TINASB regular.


I just spent the last hour with my sister and brother discussing code words to use during emergency situations to communicate our states of distress or need of help. This arose due to last weeks incident when the pan caught fire in the kitchen. When I was trying to contain the fire I realised that I would need someone else in the kitchen, perhaps with a wet towel in case the whole pan itself caught fire or the fire itself worsened. So I screamed out my brothers name in a very panicked state and all I got was a "yeah?". I yelled at him to get up here but quickly remembered that he was crippled so I yelled at him to get my sister. I hear him calling for her from his computer and he yells back to me, "she says in a minute". "In a minute" is clearly NOT an option during an emergency.
So thinking about that experience I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to have some codes in place so that if someone was in trouble and needed immediate attention, they screamed out this code and everyone would drop everything that they are doing and listen for further instructions from the person who has initiated the emergency calling.

A "code black" is the highest emergency distress call. Situations where you would use this include the house being on fire. I mean sure you could just yell "the house is on fire!", but what if the house was on fire, the ceiling was caving in and the computers looked like they were about to blow up any second? You yell 'code black' and tell everyone to get out of the house. You see, just simply yelling "get out of the house" doesn't do much because most people don't take me seriously in this house. My brother would probably be like "go away, i'm playing a game!" (ignoring the fact that the houes is on fire and the ceiling is falling apart). So by stating a 'code black' emergency, I initiate a 'no questions asked, just get out of the house' response.
We hope to never have to use a 'code black' in our lifetime.

We also came up with a couple more codes such as 'code white' and 'code plus' for various other situations such as having a break in. We're now in the process of organsing what we would do in a civil emergency such as what to do if our house gets destroyed by a tornado and where we would meet or leave notes at etc.

And since I seem to be the only one who knows first aid (which is so important) I might hold a little first-aid session for my brother and sister at some point just to teach them the basics. I'll use my 'First-Aid: Skills for Life' manual which I got from my first aid course that I did in October. You should come along!

Woo! This post has been a little less frivolous!

Mission Completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment